Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blizzards,The reasons why I hate Georgia, Uhaul, Texas Time and No gators for me...

About three weeks ago, My hubbs was asking me if I had ever gone on "Leave". Of course not, I've never been married to a soldier and I've never been in the Military. He just laughed and said I was in for a treat. That sarcastic tone in his voice made me think that maybe we should have just stayed home, But of course, We're McPhates, and I was a stubborn asshole BEFORE we got married, no reason to change now.

Let's just start off with the "Signs" of why we should have stayed home.

  • Laundry was NOT dry before we left. Coming home to Mildew laundry...gross.
  • CY was LATE bringing the car over.
  • We didn't start packing until 11:30 pm, we signed out at 12.
  • Could NOT find where Dustin was supposed to sign out at. We wandered aimlessly around Ft. Bragg for two hours trying to find command.
  • Right around the SC/NC border it started to snow.
  • We started running out of gas in the middle of NOWHERE.
  • The GPS took us the back route into BFE GA.
  • We got stuck in someones driveway in the afore mentioned BFE.
  • Just as we got UNSTUCK, we ran out of gas at the bottom of a hill, and almost ended up in a ditch trying to make it to the top of a hill covered in 4 inches of ice.
  • Got a tow to the TOP of the hill, only to find out that our POV which is front wheel manual drive, has bald tires.
  • Got ripped off by the tow truck driver that the Cops called to tow us to the gas station. $125 for a 1/2 mile tow. 
  • Got accused of loitering and being homeless as we waited for our SECOND tow truck driver to come take us all the way BACK to Augusta to get new tires.
  • All the tire shops were either closed or couldn't get our tires for two days.
  • Had to rent a UHAUL just to make it out of GA.
  • Husband put DIESEL gas in an UNLEADED tank.
  • Drove 10-25 miles an hour for almost a whole day trying to make it out of GA.
  • Once in Atlanta, I-20 was closed and all streets leading onto I-20 were blocked off.
  • Wandered around in circles in GA till we could make it on to I-20.
  • As soon as we made in ON to the stupid freeway, we almost slid off a bridge.
  • Had to sleep in the cab of the Uhaul. 3 seats, Dustin and I...and the dog.
Now if this trip seems awful, it was.

Being home was great though. It made me realize that as much as I THINK I hate NC in my head, I hate it more...

It went far to fast, and I didn't get to see everyone that I wanted to see. But at least I  had the opportunity to see my family and some close friends.








So...Here are some of the pictures from our trip.

2 comments:

  1. I have no problem not swimming wherever that sign is posted.
    As for "leave", it can be fun but very hard at the same time. Trying to fit everyone into a short amount of time. However, it always helped me make it another half year before our next visit. Until we moved to Hawaii. Then we had to have people come to us. Way to expensive to get off the island. I so understand what Dustin meant about "leave".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exceptional logistice services in dubai! I recently utilized the logistics expertise of a reputable provider and was thoroughly impressed. From efficient supply chain management to timely deliveries, they ensured a seamless process. Highly recommend for businesses seeking top-notch logistics solutions in the vibrant city of Dubai

    ReplyDelete